Explosive footage from Kamloops prompts safety warnings over lithium batteries

Video footage from the Kamloops home’s backyard caught the attention of the entire Outback Fire Department and sparked safety concerns about the potential dangers of lithium batteries.

An exploding shed fire caused by the storage and charging of lithium batteries prompted Kamloops Fire and Rescue to post several safety tips and reminders on its Facebook page.

“Only purchase and use equipment, batteries and charging equipment that are listed and labeled appropriately by a nationally accredited testing laboratory,” the department wrote.

In a video it shared, KFR added that the explosion was caused by flammable materials stored in the shed and that a lithium-ion battery on fire could release toxic gases.

“Lithium batteries are becoming a common household item,” they said. “E-bikes, tools and electric toys are available; make sure you take care of yours.”

Among those who shared the video and highlighted the safety tips relayed were representatives from the Oliver Fire Department.

In addition to keeping batteries at room temperature, KFR also says that e-bikes, e-scooters and batteries should be stored away from outlets.

Earlier this year, an electric bike caught fire behind an apartment building in downtown Penticton, prompting an investigation by the city’s department.

[email protected]

Fire Kamloops Video

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *