Canadian captain Sophie de Goede is a nominee for the World Rugby Women’s 15 Best Player Award.
The 23-year-old from Victoria will face Ruahei Demant and Portia Woodman of New Zealand, Alex Matthews of England and Laure Sansus of France.
At the recent Rugby World Cup in New Zealand, Degold led Canada to a fourth-place finish, with the Canadian women’s team trailing top-placed England 26-19 in the semi-finals. Canada then lost to France 36-0 in the third-place match.
De Goede was a strong No. 8, leading the game with 101 runs and finishing fifth with 65 tackles. She also served as Team Canada’s kicker and tied for fourth with nine conversions.
De Goede’s parents, Hans de Goede and Stephanie White, also captained the Canadian football team.
Woodman made seven attempts in New Zealand, taking her Championship tally to a record 20, which she won in 2017.
Canada’s Magali Harvey won in 2014.
The World Rugby Awards are scheduled to take place at Monaco’s Plaza Etoile on Sunday.
world rugby award nominees
World Rugby Women’s Breakthrough Player of the Year 15
- Maudmuir, England; Vitalina Naikore, Fiji; Maiakawanakaulani Roos, New Zealand; Ruby Tui, New Zealand.
World Rugby Men’s Under-15 Breakthrough Player of the Year
- Henry Arundel, UK; Ange Capuozzo, Italy; McHanson, Ireland; Dan Sheehan, Ireland.
world rugby coach of the year
- Andy Farrell, Ireland (15 boys); Fabien Galthie, France (15 boys); Simon Middleton, England (15 girls); Wayne Smith New Zealand (15 girls).
International Rugby Player of the Year Women’s Attempt
- Sylvia Brunt, New Zealand v Wales on October 16; Emily Chancellor, Australia v England on October 30; Abby Dow, England v Canada on November 5; Linda Djougang, Ireland v Wales on March 26; Nomawethu Mabenge, August 12 South Africa vs Spain.
International Rugby Players’ Annual Men’s Attempt
- Rodrigo Fernandez, Chile v USA on July 9; Lalakai Foketi, Australia v France on November 5; Chris Harris, Scotland v Italy on March 12; Edoardo Padovani, Italy v Wales on March 19; Louis Rees-Zammit, Wales July 2 against South Africa.
World Rugby Women’s Sevens Player of the Year
- Charlotte Carslik, Australia; Madison Levy, Australia; Amee Leigh Murphy Crowe, Ireland; Faith Nathan, Australia.
World Rugby Men’s Sevens Player of the Year
- Terry Kennedy, Ireland; Nick Maloof, Australia; Kamieli Rasaku, Fiji; Corey Tour, Australia.
World Rugby Men’s 15 Best Player
- Lukhanyo Am, South Africa; Antoine Dupont, France; Johnny Sexton, Ireland; Josh van der Flier, Ireland.
World Rugby 15 Girls’ Player of the Year
- Sophie de Goede, Canada; Ruahei Demant, New Zealand; Alex Matthews, England; Laure Sansus, France; Portia Woodman, New Zealand.
like us Facebook and follow us Twitter.
canadian rugby victoria