Judge hears graphic details of Brentwood Bay murder during sentencing hearing

A Nanaimo man is facing a life sentence for the grisly murders of Emily Caruana and aggravated assaults on Justin Booth and John Caruana in 2019.

Details of the case were revealed on Monday in an official sentencing and victim impact statement filed. The family is awaiting a sentencing decision from a judge to determine eligibility for parole. Second-degree murder carries an automatic life sentence without parole for at least 10 years.

Alan Charles Chapman stabbed Caruana to death at her grandmother’s home in Brentwood Bay on May 10, 2019, according to official reports. She also stabbed Justin Booth and John Caruana, both of whom were injured. seriously injured.

The family read out tearful victim impact statements, next to a photo of Caruana during a family outing at the Royal BC Museum 12 hours before the murder.

“She died full of dreams,” said Caruana’s aunt Kristin Otterwell. “She was only 20 years old. She went to her Nana’s house for the night and never came home.”

Ottewell said Caruana is ready to graduate and enter college in the coming months, hoping to become a teacher and move to the East Coast with Booth.

“I hope one day I can look back on her life and reflect on the fact that she was alive, not just how she died. We are appalled by this person’s actions. There is no verdict for me or my family Will come close to justice. Killing her life is a debt that can never be repaid.”

After sexual assault allegations were brought against Chapman, Chapman traveled from Nanaimo to Central Saanich to confront another individual – who could not be identified due to a publication embargo.

He broke into the Central Saanich home where Caruana’s grandmother lived and where the three victims were visiting.

Witnesses testified hearing glass shatter and saw Chapman rush up the stairs. They said Chapman’s rant was incomprehensible, and Chapman later told police he had taken cocaine and nitrous oxide on the day of the murder.

Chapman went into the kitchen and grabbed a knife, while Caruana’s grandmother ran downstairs and out of the house to call the police. John Caruana tries to prevent Chapman from entering the bedroom where Caruana and Booth locked the door and hid. Chapman turned towards John and stabbed him in the neck, then when John turned away, Chapman stabbed him in the back again. Chapman had John bleeding outside the bedroom. Caruana required resuscitation at the scene and surgery to remove her kidney following the attack, spending 11 days in hospital.

Chapman then broke into the bedroom where Booth and Caruana were hiding. Chapman attacked Booth first, stabbing him multiple times in the head, chest and hands, causing his internal jugular vein to be almost completely severed, requiring multiple surgeries and “massive transfusions” due to blood loss. Chapman then turned on Caruana, stabbing her repeatedly while believing she was someone else.

In his victim impact statement, Booth described it as a case of misidentification.

When emergency services arrived, they tried to test Caruana’s vital signs but declared her dead at the scene

Before they could arrive, Chapman fled the scene in his white Chevrolet Malibu and drove along Malahate towards Nanaimo. Duncan and Shawnigan Lake RCMP were alerted and lined up along the highway to pursue Chapman as he attempted to flee police at 160 km/h before eventually using a spike bar to stop him and there was no further incident arrested him. Police found Chapman still wearing the bloody clothes he used to kill Caruana, and a number of nitrous oxide cartridges in the car.

Chapman was initially charged with first-degree murder, but pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and aggravated battery at a hearing in August.

[email protected]
like us Facebook And follow us on Twitter.

crime nanaimo sanich peninsula

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *