Unattended cooking causes Petrolia kitchen fire

A kitchen fire broke out in Petrolia on Wednesday night, with damage estimated at $100,000.

Petrolia and North Enniskillen Fire Chief Jay Arns said his volunteer firefighters were called to a home on Henderson Drive around 6 p.m.

“Crews quickly extinguished the fire,” Arnes said. “We assessed two people at the scene for smoke inhalation before transporting them to [to hospital]”

Arnes says cooking is the reason.

“All the damage was inside the kitchen, except for the smoke and a little bit of water damage to the rest of the house.”

Chief Arnes said the only occupants and their pets were outside when firefighters arrived.

Unattended cooking is the leading cause of kitchen fires, he said.

“If you’re going to be cooking on a stove, you should keep an eye on it so you can stay alert if things get out of hand.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *