April 4, 2023 at 12:14 am
After years of court battles, the Saugeen First Nation has been established as the legal owner of a section of Sauble Beach.
In a ruling announced Tuesday, Ontario Superior Court Judge Susan Vella ruled in favor of the Aboriginal people’s land claims.
“While there may be further legal action depending on the response of other parties, including appeals, to date our litigation against the town of Canada, Ontario and the South Bruce Peninsula has been entirely successful,” a statement According to the Saugeen First Nation website. “Issues still to be resolved by the courts include compensation to our Indigenous peoples for breaches of treaties by the government.”
Based on the First Nations statement, the court ruled that the federal government had violated its rights under Article 72 by “failing to protect and maintain all of our protected areas since our treaty was signed in 1854.”
In a statement issued by the town of South Bruce Peninsula, Mayor Gary Mitch said the city will take some time to review the court’s decision.
“This is a complex issue and it will take time to formalize a position,” he said. “Council understands the importance of this issue to the town and thanks residents in advance for their patience.”
The town of South Bruce Peninsula holds a disputed title 2.5km north of Sauble Beach main street sign. Saugeen First Nation has previously said that if it wins the case, the beach will remain open to the public.
The council said it was reviewing the decision in detail to formalize public comment and consider next steps.
CKNXNewsToday.ca has reached out to Michi Mayor and Saugeen First Nation Chief Conrad Ritchie for comment.
This is a developing story.