Public consultation for new Sumac Lodge LTC home underway

The redevelopment of Sumac Lodge in Sarnia is undergoing public consultation.

Proposed new state-of-the-art long-term care facility on 4 acres at 1597 London Line.

JP Cadeau, president of Revera Canada, said the public consultation is the next step in the Ministry of Long-Term Care’s standard process.

“Written comments will be accepted by email or post from April 13 to May 12, 2023,” Cadeau said in a letter shared with Sarnia News Today.

The nursing home will transfer 100 existing beds to the new, larger facility, which is expected to house 256 residents.

“It will be built to the latest design standards, with plenty of natural light, wider hallways, more spacious air-conditioned rooms, soft colors and other design features that will help make this home as welcoming as possible,” he said. and comfort.”

Cadeau said 60 percent of the rooms will be singles with private washrooms, and the remaining 40 percent will be semi-private rooms with two beds, each in its own space separated by a shared washroom.

“[The facility will] There is a neighborhood feel, with 32 resident blocks within the larger house, each with its own dining area, including a dedicated block to safely support residents who require a safe environment,” Cardo said. explain.

The city agreed to sell the London Line site to Revera in May 2021 for $250,000.

At the time, the cost of replacing the aging Sumac Lodge at 1464 Blackwell Road was expected to be as high as $50 million.

The new facility, about three kilometers from its current residence, will be an important employer, Cardo said. Existing staff will transfer to the site and new staff will be hired when the site opens.

“While we anticipate that the development and construction of the new Sumac Lodge will take three to four years, we look forward to being able to provide specialized long-term care to more seniors in the Sarnia community,” Cardo told Sarnia Today said in a statement to the news.

Construction is conditional on approval from the Department of Long Term Care.

Details on the proposal and information on how to submit feedback have been published On the department’s long-term care licensing public consultation website.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *